Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Small Quilt


I tried to sell this small quilt at a craft sale one time, nobody bought it, so I ended up sending to my internet quilting buddy, Hrafnhildur in Iceland. At least she liked it!
I found it's a lost cause trying to sell quilts. I've tried craft fairs, but barely sold enough to cover the cost of renting the table. Also, you have to sit there at the table for two days and watch everybody go by. They stop and admire the stuff, then go on their way. I can find better things to do with the two days.
It's also a lost cause trying to sell quilts in a shop that charges commission. By the time you pay the 40% or whatever they want for their cut, there's nothing left.
Dozens of hours of work, cost of fabric, thread and batting and you're just about giving the thing away. Might as well just give it to somebody you like instead of a stranger. There's been the odd time that somebody bought a baby quilt or a table runner, but I've usually just sold those on my own, not in a shop.
Too many hours of work go into making quilts. It works out to only a few dollars per hour, so it's not worth it to sell them. That's my rant for the day :)

No comments:

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...