Thursday, April 2, 2015

Throwback Thursday; Y2K Quilt

In 1999, quilters from all over the world were trading 2 1/2 inch squares of fabric to make Y2K quilts. The goal was to have 2000 different fabrics, no two the same, to celebrate the year 2000. Many internet groups were formed to swap fabric squares. We included a muslin signature square in each trade. It was quite the job to sort out the colours and make sure there were no duplicates. We traded 20 or 25 squares per envelope with dozens of people. For each envelope I sent, I got one in return, most were all good fabrics, accurately cut. I only got one batch of fabric that looked like sheer curtain material that was unusable. I arranged the squares so there is a blue crescent moon in the centre to represent "once in a blue moon". I didn't get my quilt done until 2002, but that's because I'm slow. :) I'll send a picture of the back of the quilt next week, it has all the extra squares and signatures on it.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Awesome. It is hard to believe that 2000 is already 15 years ago.

Psychoquilter said...

Time really speeds by! I was looking at the different fabrics on this quilt, most of them were dull and greyed down. Hardly any orange, aqua and lime green Fabrics today are a lot brighter and there are larger prints now.

Apron

I just finished making this apron. The picture of it on a hanger didn't turn out great because the apron was folding in on itself. I was...