Sunday, April 26, 2015

Wildlife Quilt Top Sewn Together

I just finished sewing the borders on this quilt top. I have to have the quilt completed by June, then it'll be given away for a gift. I bought the wildlife picture panels in Whitehorse, Yukon last summer. When I got home, I tried to figure out how to put them together into a quilt. I thought of alternating them with a pieced block, so I chose a Sawtooth Star at first, then I added black sashing to the pictures to make them the same size as the blocks. I was short one block because the repeat only had 8 pictures, which I had two sets. I took one picture out and added two bear prints of another fabric. I started running low on some of the fabrics used in the star blocks, so I switched to Nine Patches that had a couple of other fabrics in them. When the blocks were sewn together in a 5X7 configuration, the whole thing looked too long and skinny. To solve that problem, I added two side borders of hiking boot fabric. The outside border is a brown and black print. Now to get busy and quilt it, I'll try to choose a simple design so it doesn't take too long to do.

No comments:

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...