Sunday, February 21, 2016
Today I sewed lots of 2 1/2" squares together and sewed another section onto the strippy quilt. We finish at 3:30 on Sunday so there isn't as much time to sew as the other two days.
Saturday, February 20, 2016
Today I free motion quilted the "Birds in the Air" quilt until 5:00 PM, then I switched to sewing patchwork because my arms and shoulders were getting sore. This is a picture of my strippy quilt in progress.
Friday, February 19, 2016
Today I was quilting a sea of "Cs" on my project. I'm using Glide thread on the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin, the combo seems to work quite well.
Monday, February 15, 2016
I got the quilt top and backing pressed today, now I'm pin basting the layers on the floor. It sounds easy enough, but my cat was like a Whirling Dervish and made things just about impossible, I finally had to lock him in the bedroom for awhile. I fastened the layers down to the carpet and all smoothed out, then Igor was allowed to come out of the bedroom. There is a spray bottle filled with water, so If he gets close to a pin, I'll give him a blast. I might have a few minutes of stress free time now, he's sleeping on the couch. I'll have to pin like mad so I can get this up off the floor and put it away.
Friday, February 12, 2016
I needed a gift for someone, so I just finished these pyjama pants. Years ago when I had my quilt shop, I ordered many bolts of beautiful, good quality homespun plaids. I really liked them, thinking they would be a good seller, it turned out that nobody wanted them. When my shop closed, all the plaids were still there. Instead of selling off the fabric at pennies on the dollar, I've used up a tremendous amount by making pyjama pants for myself and for others, turning lemons into lemonade.
Thursday, February 11, 2016
This UFO was made in the mid 90s, it was a mystery quilt project in our guild. I wasn't happy with my colour choices, they looked too dark and dull. I added a border of a different fabric to try to brighten it up a little. Originally, it was supposed to have one of the fabrics in the main area used as a border. When I eventually quilt it, I'll use a pretty variegated thread, that might liven it up a little. It might look ok in my spare bedroom, the floor and walls are white, so a dark quilt would work in there.
Thursday, February 4, 2016
I made this queen size "Birds in the Air" quilt top in the early 2000s, stitching mountain of half square triangles! When I hung it up on the rack to take the photos, I thought this would be a good one to work on at our quilting retreat which is coming up soon. I found backing, batting and thread in my stash, I'll layer and pin baste it in the next week or two. I don't know how that'll go with the new cat, Igor will want to play while I'm pinning. That's one drawback of not having a long arm machine, I have to lay out and pin my quilts on the floor, not easy when there is a cat racing across it. There is also the fact that it takes me a long time to get back up after I've been crawling around for an hour or more. :)