Monday, October 15, 2018

Quilt Repair

I made this Trip Around The World quilt for my brother in 1989. He asked if I could put a new binding on it, the edges were getting tattered. On closer inspection, it needed more work than just new binding. I didn't know how to quilt by machine at the time, it was tied with embroidery floss and over the years the ties came out. It was a good thing the polyester batting was sturdy like a Brillo pad, it hadn't ripped or shifted. The edges were all crumpled up, I tried to press everything flat with an iron but it wasn't easy. The heat couldn't be turned up too hot on the iron or else the polyester batting would melt. After mashing the edges down as flat as possible, I cut the binding off. Then I had to clip the edges together every few inches with Clover Wonder Clips as I applied the new binding. Some fabrics were ripped, I had to do some zigzagging. The backing was in surprisingly good shape, the fabric still looked like new. Finally, I did some free motion tacks at intersections in the centre of the quilt. I didn't have time to do all of it because my brother was going to be coming to collect the quilt. Hopefully, the repairs will hold for a few years. My sister and I have made other quilts for him but he still insists on using the old one.

2 comments:

Susan G said...

It's his security blanket, very important to him, so nice you were able to rescue it for him. Obviously he treasures this one. Nice job on the fix....

Lorna said...

Thanks, Susan! Yes, he really does like the quilt, it's nice that he appreciates it :)

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...