Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sheila's Quilt


Many years ago there was a delightful woman named Sheila Seddon in our guild. She was the reason I joined the guild, Sheila was so welcoming. I went to one of their quilt shows and saw Sheila demonstrating cutting with a rotary cutter and mat. I never saw that being done before and thought it was fascinating. She invited me to the guild and encouraged me to take a workshop that was coming up. I was so impressed that I ran over to the fabric store and bought my first mat, cutter and ruler. They were in the process of closing out, there was only one of each item left, so I was lucky to get them. The next nearest fabric store was a two-hour drive away from there.
A few years after I joined the guild, Sheila passed away suddenly. I was devastated!
Her daughter, who doesn't sew, wanted a few of us to go through the items that Sheila had in her sewing room and take what we wanted, the rest was to go to the guild.
There was only one unfinished project there, Joanne Kosick and I decided to finish it and give it to Sheila's daughter. We hand quilted it, Joanne would do some for a while, then I would take a turn. The quilting was quite fancy- feathered wreaths on the border. When it was done, we gave it back to the daughter who was very pleased!

No comments:

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...