Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sampler Quilt


We had a beginner class in our guild when I first started and I made this project.
There was no fabric store in town at the time, so I shopped for the supplies in Calgary. I went into a Fabricland or Fannies, I don't remember which one it was. They had no cotton fabric there! I asked them if they had any and they pulled out a little bin with about 5 bolts of quilting cotton in it. That's why this quilt ended up with such a stark colour palette. I didn't know that there were shops that just sold quilting supplies. But a few years after that, the big chain stores got lots of cotton fabric in stock.
I don't know what those marks are on the picture because the quilt didn't have them, must've been gremlins in the camera.
This quilt was on my wall for a few years, but the sun faded it really bad and I took it down. Now I don't hang up a quilt if it's in a spot where the sun will get at it.

No comments:

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...