Monday, February 22, 2010

My First Quilt


This is the first quilt I ever made, the picture was taken before it was completed.
How do you like the background? It seems like ugly couches have followed me for my entire life! The cat's name was Beatrice Bumlichker.
I didn't know anything about quilting and hadn't joined the guild yet at this time.
I found the pattern in a magazine, a reversible Grandmother's Flower Garden.
You were supposed to cut a layer of batting in the shape of the hexagon piece, sew front and back hexagons, right sides together, then when they were turned right sides out, the batting was placed between them. Each little pillow was quilted 1/4" around the edge to hold the batting in place. I got the bright idea that I wanted my quilt to be really puffy, so I used four layers of batting! Each completed hexagon, was then zigzagged to the next one to form the pattern. By the time the single bed quilt was done, it was heavy and stiff as a board. My brother came to visit and asked "What's this thing on the bed supposed to be?"
It ended up being an insulating wrap around the hot water tank for awhile. I don't know what happened to it after I moved, I haven't seen it since.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fiddly pattern for a hot water tank. I wonder what happened to it.

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...