Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Elsie's quilt


This quilt, made for my friend Elsie, took four years to complete! I figured out the layout of the blocks myself, it's an original deisign with traditional blocks, if that makes any sense.
It is hand quilted with lots of feathered wreath type designs.
Because it was handled so much when it was being made, I needed to wash it. Much to my horror, the purple fabric bled into the white along the border even though all the fabric had been prewashed. I tried everything to get the extra dye to come out, but it only faded it a little. It's the worst along the bottom where the folded up part is. I've been leary of making quilts with a lot of white on them ever since, but this one remains the biggest quiltmaking disaster in my history.
Elsie hung the quilt on a bedroom wall, the bed is in front of the bleeding dye part of the quilt. I'll send a picture tomorrow of it on the wall.

No comments:

Baptist Fans!

I finally worked up the gumption to try the Fab 5 Baptist Fan Ruler Set that I ordered from Michael Davison, Quarter Squared Quilt Company. ...