Thursday, August 13, 2015

Throwback Thursday; The Tale of Two Bedspreads

In the early 80s, I was visiting someone and saw a nice crocheted bedspread that she had made from store string. I asked where she bought the string, she told me it was a little Mom and Pop grocery store named "Bill and Dell's". I went to that store and bought a big cone of the string, they said I order more if I needed to. I ended up making a different crocheted pattern than the one that was at my friend's house, I think I found it in a magazine. It took me a year to crochet the bedspread, then I put it on the spare bed. I went to visit my mom in Alberta and she showed me something that her older sister had given to her. It was a crocheted bedspread almost the same as the one I made. My grandmother died when my mom and her twin sister were only 11 years old. She intended to make a crocheted bedspread for each of the girls in the family, but became ill and couldn't make one for the youngest girls. Aunt Nelly gave the one she had to my mom. The two bedspreads are very similar, which is strange because I never met my grandmother and didn't know she crocheted. My mom passed away 5 years ago, I ended up with my grandmother's bedspread, which is now close to 100 years old. It has a little tear in it which can be repaired, otherwise it's in great shape. Hers has fringe on the edges and mine doesn't.
My popcorn stitch crocheted bedspread.
My grandmother's popcorn stitch crocheted bedspread

No comments:

Baptist Fans!

I finally worked up the gumption to try the Fab 5 Baptist Fan Ruler Set that I ordered from Michael Davison, Quarter Squared Quilt Company. ...