Thursday, March 5, 2015

Throwback Thursday; Knitting

When I was around nine years old, my Aunt Ethel taught me to knit. I made some small items, then when I was eleven, I started making outfits for Barbie dolls and selling them in a store. I would knit a sweater, sew a skirt or pants and crochet a matching hat, then attach the outfit to cardboard and cover it with plastic. By the time I was twelve, the outfits were selling like hotcakes, I had a little factory going on Mom's kitchen table. I manufactured Barbie pants, assembly line style, chain piecing them so I wouldn't waste thread or time. My sister, Linda designed the pattern for the pants. My 15 minutes of fame came when Marg Osbourne from the old TV show, "Don Messer's Jubilee" bought several of my Barbie outfits. I don't have any pictures of those doll clothes, but I still have a sweater that I made when I was 14, it's a combination of knitting, crocheting and embroidery.
I haven't tried knitting for quite a few years because it makes carpal tunnel syndrome flare up in my hands. I bought some yarn, a pattern and some needles to make socks, maybe if I only worked at it a bit at a time, then rested, I'd be able to knit without pain.

No comments:

Apron

I just finished making this apron. The picture of it on a hanger didn't turn out great because the apron was folding in on itself. I was...