Monday, March 1, 2021

Old Singer Machine

Last fall, a friend saw many vintage sewing machines stacked up near a building. They were free, which was irresistible. He grabbed four and asked if I wanted them. I couldn't refuse an offer like that, so I took them. Since I knew parts would be required, I picked one machine to start working on, a Singer 319K. It was completely caked with dirt and ancient oil. After a few sessions of scrubbing and polishing, the machine looked a lot better. With a thorough oiling, the machine worked. A regular sewing machine needle was too long, it was striking the bobbin case. I did some research and discovered that this machine requires a shorter needle. I ordered some needles, a new power cord, a zigzag foot and some bobbins from sewingpartsonline.com It took about a month for the parts to arrive. The new, shorter needle still didn't seem to work in the machine. I had to take the whole bobbin area apart, it wasn't lined up properly. The Singer is finally running, but it needs a new belt and more fine tuning. One can never have too many sewing machines.

No comments:

A Quilt For Dorothy

Geo's aunt, Dorothy requested a brown quilt for the couch in her living room. This is what I came up with. The colour and size are the o...