Thursday, February 2, 2017

Quilt Top #18: "Dappled"

I finished sewing together the "Dappled" quilt top last night but waited for morning light to take the photo. It was difficult to fit all of it in the picture because the room is too small and the quilt top is so large. Maybe I need a bigger room or a photography studio, that's just a fantasy. I had to do some "surgery" on parts where the same fabrics were too close together, so some blocks were switched around. Not having a design wall, there's no place to put one around here. It's not possible to lay the blocks out on the floor in case Igor the cat races through and mixes them all up. Rows of blocks have to be arranged on the bed, I hope for the best outcome. I ordered some pale green King Tut thread for quilting and matching Bottom Line thread for the bobbin. Our next quilting retreat is coming up soon, I'll start quilting this monster on that weekend.

2 comments:

MarciaME said...

Nothing boring or bland about that one! Wild! I bet it would look pretty laying on the snow.

Have you tried using a sheet on top of the bed to pin the blocks to? I had to do that with one Irish Cahin version that I kept getting lost in the layout, would get frustrated and fold it all up in the sheet. Last time I had it out I had help and we got it almost done when one of the blocks fabrics just fell apart. So it sits. I don't thin all the blocks had that problem. When I am in the right mood, I will take another look and see if I can replace the offending black fabric without going crazy.

Psychoquilter said...

That's a great idea to pin blocks to a sheet, I never thought of that!
Was the black fabric rotten? I bought some black fabric one time and used it throughout a queen size quilt top.Later on, the owner of the fabric store told me "Don't use that fabric, I discovered that it's rotten, I'll give your money back.". I had to pick out every black square out of that quilt and replace it with different fabric.

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...