Thursday, January 17, 2019

Throwback Thursday; Quilt From 1987

This was one of the first quilts that I made. I joined the quilting guild in 1987. Lucky for me, they were teaching a class on making a sampler quilt. I learned applique, curved piecing and hand quilting, which are all included in this project. Cotton fabric was scarce at that time. Fanny's Fabrics in Calgary only had 2 bolts to choose from, everything else was polycotton. The fabric store in my town had two bolts of 100% cotton prints, plus a plain white. I had to make the quilt from the few fabrics that I could find. The quilt was displayed on my living room wall for several years. That ended up being a mistake because the sun coming through the window faded the fabric. I tried to doctor up the red fabric by sponge painting some fabric paint on it, which didn't help very much. I dug the quilt out yesterday and contemplated throwing it in the garbage because it's all bleached out and doesn't look nice. My sister, Linda H gave me the idea to use it as a dust cover to protect a big stack of other quilts. I think I'll do that. :)

No comments:

Baptist Fans!

I finally worked up the gumption to try the Fab 5 Baptist Fan Ruler Set that I ordered from Michael Davison, Quarter Squared Quilt Company. ...