Saturday, August 19, 2023

Repairing A Quilt

I made this hand-quilted Log Cabin quilt in 1990. Over the years, it has received several repairs in the form of zig-zagging. We have the quilt at the cabin and use it underneath a top quilt on the bed. It's got to the point where the fabric is fragile and is splitting in many places. I brought the quilt home and put it on the longarm machine. Machine quilting over top of hand quilting would probably be considered blasphemy. It was either that or retire it completely. I quilted all-over loops to strengthen the seams and fabric. The machine was in a bad mood and the thread broke countless times, but I persevered. Now the quilt is in the washing machine, ready for next summer at the cabin.
I used the glide foot on the machine so it wouldn't catch the openings in the fabric. It worked like a charm.
Above: what the quilt looked like before I started working on it.
Most people would just send a quilt like this to the landfill. I didn't want to do that because it was the first Log Cabin quilt that I made and it took 9 months to hand-quilt. Sentimental value.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Sentimental value is good enough reason. Well done.

Psychoquilter said...

Thanks, Judy!

Thermos Bag By Linda H.

Linda has been making Thermos bags for her friends. She measures each Thermos and makes the bag to fit. What a great idea!