Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Amateur

I was told a couple of weeks ago that my work "looked amateur". I looked it up in the dictionary and this is what I found, "amateur | ˈamətə, ˈamətʃə, ˈamətʃʊə, ˌaməˈtəː | noun 1 a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid rather than a professional basis: it takes five years for a top amateur to become a real Tour de France rider | his last fight as an amateur. 2 a person who is incompetent or inept at a particular activity: that bunch of stumbling amateurs." It is true that I don't get paid for my quilts, I make them for myself, for gifts or donations. That would qualify me as an amateur, a professional would be paid for their work. On the other hand, incompetent or inept? I make quilts because I love the whole process- the pattern, fabric, sewing, quilting and completing. Nothing is perfect. There are always going to be variations in stitching and maybe a design choice could be better. If somebody would love to have one of my quilts as a gift, I am happy to oblige when possible. If a person sees my work as "amateur" and complains that it doesn't match their decor, they will receive a gift from Walmart or nothing at all. My rant is over, haha! I just had to get that off my chest. Looking on the bright side, my Christmas Yellow Brick Road quilt is almost finished!

3 comments:

Sandra Pagliaro said...

Looks beautiful Lorna. Your work is of the highest quality if you ask me.

mshyflyer said...

By all means, never let the opinion of one person deter your passion for what you love to do. Your work is beautiful, and if they cannot appreciate the love and effort you put into it, then definitely give them the directions to the nearest Walmart!

Psychoquilter said...

Thanks for the kind comments! I'll put the incident behind me and will continue to sew up a storm for the people who appreciate it :)

Apron

I just finished making this apron. The picture of it on a hanger didn't turn out great because the apron was folding in on itself. I was...