Thursday, February 28, 2019

20-Year-Old UFO Completed

"Kaksikymmentä" is what I named this quilt, it means "twenty" in Finnish. This year I'm going to dig up my oldest UFOs and try to finish them. When I made this quilt top, I used a specific ruler and pattern from the book that goes with it. I don't want to mention the name in case people come after me with pitchforks, haha! I didn't enjoy this method because you waste fabric and there are bias edges on all the blocks. Fabric is way too expensive in Canada to be trimming large, sharply triangular edges from blocks, then throwing them away. The bias edges make it extremely difficult to join everything together with accuracy. Many of my points were chopped off because of this. Maybe that's why the quilt top sat in the closet for 20 years. I finally unearthed it, added a border, then quilted it. Just for something different, I made a flanged binding, thanks to instructions from Lynda Balas, one of our guild members.

No comments:

A Quilt For Dorothy

Geo's aunt, Dorothy requested a brown quilt for the couch in her living room. This is what I came up with. The colour and size are the o...