Thursday, April 3, 2014

Charity Quilt, Finished item #5 for 2014

I just finished this charity quilt which I'm going to hand in to our guild tonight. I made the deadline that I set for myself- yay! I find if I don't have a deadline, then it remains open ended and I have no incentive to finish something. I used to have a fabric store, after it closed, I sold off the excess fabric, but ended up keeping lots for myself. I decided that it's not worth garage sale-ing it off for pennies on the dollar. Instead, I'm going to make a charity quilt whenever I get the chance. It takes several metres of fabric for the back of a quilt, so that will use up the stash eventually. This quilt has a back pieced from three different fabrics. I had a bit of trouble when I was quilting this, I got the straight lines done, then flipped it over to see the back. To my horror, there was a big fold in the backing. I picked out some of the stitches, then folded the pleat up against one of the quilting lines and sewed it down. I was happy that the error
doesn't show at all. When I got to the border, I picked a design from a book and tried to follow it. What a joke! My free motion quilting took on a life of its own and doesn't even resemble the original plan. Oh well. I always like to include something silly in every quilt I make, this one has a square of ant fabric. :)

No comments:

Apron

I just finished making this apron. The picture of it on a hanger didn't turn out great because the apron was folding in on itself. I was...