Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Quilters' Funtalk 1999 Birthday Block Exchange Quilt

When I was in the Quilters's Funtalk internet group, we exchanged these birthday blocks in 1999. I had this quilt just about finished a few years ago, but my sewing machine was skipping stitches and I became frustrated. I put the quilt away until today, when I heard that one of the members of the group had passed away. I dug the quilt out and finished up the areas where the quilting needed to be repaired. Oddly enough, the one block that wasn't quilted yet was Janet Mitchell, the lady who had passed away! So I finished it up, it didn't take very long, I don't know why I hadn't done it sooner. There are other names on this quilt of members who have left us, I am very thankful to have known such a wonderful group of people. I will always treasure this quilt and the memories that go with it. When I was on that list, I used the name "Loorna", which started out as a typo, but the name stuck. I've lost contact with some of the people, but others are on Facebook and we still have "fun talk" together. This quilt will count as "finished project #3" in my "finish 14 in 2014" challenge.

No comments:

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...