Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Back to the Fifties

I made this baby quilt for a couple at work who just had a new little guy. I asked what colours they liked, I was wondering if a quilt top that I had at home would be suitable. It turned out that the one I had in mind was totally wrong, they prefer colours like burnt orange, turquoise, brown, I thought, "Hmmmm, those sound like 1950's colours." I went home and looked on the internet, sure enough, 1950's colour pallets had those ones in it. I looked through my stash and came up with ones that would be suitable. For the border and binding, I ordered some 1950's reproduction fabrics for the border and binding from equilter.com. I like the fabric with atom designs on it! Next I needed to pick out a pattern, I found a good one in Quilter's World magazine, The Scrap Sensation, September, 2012. It was a bed size quilt designed by Christine A. Schultz,
I made fewer blocks so it was a baby quilt size. For the backing, I wanted to use a piece of novelty fabric that had pictures of old cars, planes and trains on it. I pieced it into the backing using muslin for the rest. I have lots of the fabrics left over, maybe I'll make a bigger quilt like this for myself.

No comments:

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...