Sunday, August 18, 2024

Scrap Quilt Is Completed

I made the quilt top when I was at the cabin this summer. The navy blue background fabric came from a garage sale, the rest was odds and ends. There wasn't a pattern, I made blocks and decided to set them on point. After I got back home from vacation, it was time to get this quilted on the longarm. The polyester batting, "Eversoft" had been purchased in Walmart when I was up north. I had purchased this kind of batting many times before and never had a problem with it. This time turned into a nightmare. The thread shredded every two minutes, I couldn't figure out was what causing the breakage. Finally, after trying every trouble-shooting method, I discovered the batting was the problem. I compared the new batting with an older package of the same brand. The older one is soft and fluffy, the new one feels like fiberglass! The batting company must have changed their formula. Needless to say, I won't be buying that kind anymore. I had to take the quilt off the longarm frame when it was only half quilted to finish it on a different machine. The backing was made from two different fabrics separated by a pieced strip. That's a good way to do it if there isn't enough of a single fabric to do the job.

No comments:

Chip N' Dip Quilt Is Completed

This Chip N' Dip pattern came from a YouTube video. I attend "YouTube University" on a regular basic, looking for ideas. :) ...