Popular posts from this blog
I made this quilted baby jacket in 1987 just before my daughter, Lindsay was born. The pattern came from a library book, I don't remember the title or author. The jacket has embroidery and is hand quilted on satin. It was supposed to fit a three to six-month-old baby, but it was too small for Lindsay at three months, so it never was worn. I think it would be a better fit for a doll.
My daughter, Lindsay, made some robes for us when she was here for a visit. We drafted them to our own measurements using the tutorial in the February edition of the Sew Long, Sew Happy Zine, with much assistance from my cat, Igor. Lindsay picked up the jersey fabric in Winnipeg before coming to visit. I have always been leery of working with knits, but she is a pro at it. My old serger was put into service, after a good cleaning and oiling. I helped cut out some of the fabric, using food cans for fabric weights. Lindsay did the rest of the cutting and sewing. Lindsay used satin trim on her robe and my trim was cotton, the main fabric was knit jersey.
I made this Trip Around The World quilt for my brother in 1989. He asked if I could put a new binding on it, the edges were getting tattered. On closer inspection, it needed more work than just new binding. I didn't know how to quilt by machine at the time, it was tied with embroidery floss and over the years the ties came out. It was a good thing the polyester batting was sturdy like a Brillo pad, it hadn't ripped or shifted. The edges were all crumpled up, I tried to press everything flat with an iron but it wasn't easy. The heat couldn't be turned up too hot on the iron or else the polyester batting would melt. After mashing the edges down as flat as possible, I cut the binding off. Then I had to clip the edges together every few inches with Clover Wonder Clips as I applied the new binding. Some fabrics were ripped, I had to do some zigzagging. The backing was in surprisingly good shape, the fabric still looked like new. Finally, I did some free motion tacks at inte…
This was gifted today so I can show some pictures of the scarf I made for my daughter, Lindsay. I had some nice yarn that I bought in Haines, Alaska, I wanted to try the fan and feather pattern, My mom always made afghans using that pattern. I just about had smoke coming out of my ears trying to figure out how to do it. I ripped it out 6 times before the penny finally dropped. There were only two balls of yarn, I kept going until it was used up. Lindsay said she liked it. :)
I retired July 1st from a place where I worked for just about 38 years. It almost seems strange to all of a sudden have time to sew. On Sunday I was digging around in a box of quilt blocks and came across a stack of blocks made by one of our guild members several years ago. I had volunteered to sew them together into a comfort quilt at the time- OOPS! Time went on and the blocks became buried in other half-finished projects. I joined the blocks with sashing and cornerstones, then added a small border. I looked around for a backing, then decided on muslin. A bright print on the back wouldn't be suitable because colours might show through to the white on the front. I pieced together some leftover quilt batting, but it ended up being a bit too small, I had to use a piece from my bolt of batting. I started quilting it yesterday and now it's almost finished. Now to tackle the rest of the UFOs and probably start a few new things. :)
I just finished sewing the victory lap on this quilt top (stitching around the edge to secure the seams). I started the blocks for this one a few years ago, then put them away. I dug them out recently and started working on the project again. I got the idea from a picture posted in an online quilt group. There was no pattern, so I figured it out by drawing a block diagram. I don't have a clue on how I'm going to quilt it.
Every year I make some Christmas gift bags, this year I wanted to try something different. I followed a good tutorial from birchfabrics.blogspot.ca for fabric boxes. (Thank you for the free instructions!) The top was supposed to be folded down like a cuff. I thought if I folded down the top on this one, it would be too shallow to be a gift holder. I think I'll increase the measurement for the height on the next one.
I like to have a knitting or crocheting project on the go, all my other projects have been completed. Too bad I can't say the same about my unfinished quilts! I found some nice yarn in a local store, then went home to look for a pattern in this book that I've had since the early 70s. It's interesting how the variegated yarn makes it dark on one side and light on the other.
This strange looking contraption is a stitching pillow. It's for propping up a project so your neck doesn't get sore while you are stitching by hand. The little pocket holds a pair of small scissors. I used some 20-year-old orphan quilt blocks along with some frog fabric, seemed like a good idea to me, haha! I followed a Quilt Roadies tutorial on You Tube which can be found HERE. I made mine from 18 1/2 inch squares, the instructor used 15-inch squares. I wanted to have my work really close to my face so I'm not hunched over. I stuffed it with a combination of Polyfil stuffing and fabric scraps.