Quilting Bloggers

Quilting Bloggers

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Throwback Thursday; Batik Quilt

I made this batik quilt for my daughter, Lindsay and her partner, Nelson in 2009. She said the fabric in some of the blocks deteriorated. I asked her to bring the quilt and we could take a look at it to see what could be done to fix it. It looked like a certain dark purple fabric was rotten and was full of big holes. We cut that fabric away from the quilt in six areas. I made some new squares and fused them on with Heat N Bond. I free motion stitched around the edges and quilted a flower in the middle so the patches would stay on. I had a piece of black fabric one time that was rotten and it had to be removed from an assembled quilt top. Certain dyes can be caustic and they make the fabric break down over time. Too bad it's found out after a quilt is completed. :( With the repair, this quilt can be put back into use.

1 comment:

  1. A great idea! Thanks! My daughter has a quilt we gave her many years ago before I started this crazy craft, and it too has certain blocks that are deteriorating. A great way to resurrect it!

    ReplyDelete