Thursday, September 10, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Aunt Alma's Quilt

In 1979 my Aunt Alma made this Log Cabin quilt for me. It's made in the "quilt as you go" method and the edge is finished by the pillowcase method (no binding). The fabrics are polycottons with polyester batting. Aunt Alma didn't have the tools and fancy gadgets that we have today, but that didn't stop her from making quilts for all of us. The tiny town where she lived didn't have a fabric store and she didn't drive, there wasn't an opportunity to go to the next town to buy fabric and supplies unless somebody gave her a ride. She usually worked on quilts every winter, then put the sewing machine away for the summer. I remember looking through her photo albums to see pictures of quilts that she made, that's what gave me the idea to document the quilts that I've done. She was the reason that I started quilting 29 years ago.

No comments:

Throwback Thursday: Vest Making Class From 1987

After I joined the local quilting guild in 1987, I took a class on making quilted vests. At the time, I couldn't find any 100% cotton f...