Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Working On A 30 Year Old UFO

I must be nuts, but what else is new? About thirty years ago, I took a class on how to make the "Around the Twist" pattern. I bought the required fabrics at a quilt shop that was in town at the time. The quilt top turned out ok, but it probably would have looked better with more contrast in the fabric colours. I made the mistake of quilting it with invisible thread, which looked like plastic on the black background border. That kind of thread was what people used in those days. The thing was shoved in a box and stayed there for three decades because I wasn't happy with it. I always meant to pick out all the stitching on the border and re-quilt it. This is the year. It took me weeks of picking out the ugly thread, I left a bit on one part so you could see it. Now I'm free-motion quilting it with "Fool's Gold" Glide thread. The inner border had been stitched in the ditch. Thankfully, there was no invisible thread stippling on that part. Some people would have thrown that project in the trash, it would have saved many hours of work. I'm stubborn and frugal. Or maybe a sucker for punishment? Hopefully, it'll be finished for this Christmas. Marge the supervisor is keeping me on track.

No comments:

A Quilt For Dorothy

Geo's aunt, Dorothy requested a brown quilt for the couch in her living room. This is what I came up with. The colour and size are the o...