Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Thursday, September 30, 2021
Making this quilt tested my patience at every level. I will never use Fireside backing again unless I get a long arm machine. The thing wouldn't slide along as I was trying to free motion quilt. My sister came up with the idea of putting tissue paper underneath, so I tried paper from old clothing patterns. That solved the problem, I was able to move the quilt around with no friction. The paper was extremely difficult to remove after the quilting was done. I had to pick at it for a few days with tweezers before it was finally cleaned up. There wasn't an inch of backing to spare, I should have bought more of it. On one small section it wasn't enough to go right to the edge. I had to attach the label along there to cover the gap. As I was stitching down the binding, I noticed that some of the quilting was pulling out in several sections. The layers must have been too thick for the machine, the top thread wasn't catching the bobbin thread. I had to requilt all those areas. Now that this monster is finished, I can breath a sigh of relief. The Fireside backing is nice and cozy. Geo loves his new quilt.
Sunday, September 26, 2021
Linda designed and made a handy cover for one of her sewing machines. The quilt block pattern came from the book "Block Magic" by Nancy Johnson Srebro. This proves there is no reason to have a boring sewing machine cover. My serger could use a custom cover instead of a pillowcase. :)
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
Linda made "Sunny Lanes" for her quilting group as a fundraiser raffle. The pattern can be found in the book "Nickel Quilts" by Pat Speth and Charlene Thode. The backing fabric is a cute apple print that Linda had been saving for quite some time. It was just the right size for this quilt. I hope lots of raffle tickets will sell, it's certainly a lovely quilt.
Sunday, September 5, 2021
I started to free-motion quilt Geo's Halloween quilt. What a nightmare! He wanted something warm and cozy for the back, so I bought some Fireside fabric. It has a beautiful texture but it refuses to slide along as I'm free-motion stitching. I even sprayed the table and machine bed with Quilt Glide, an anti-friction treatment for quilting surfaces. Nope, it didn't help. It's push, pull and drag all the way. Fireside fabric is lovely, but I think it's meant to be used with a long arm machine, not the kind of machine I have. Wish me luck!
Friday, August 27, 2021
I put that last stitches in the binding, now this well-aged UFO is finished. These blocks were made about 10-12 years ago, then put away in a box. In the spring, I excavated them and made a quilt top. Not wanting to make more blocks, I increased the size by adding a wide border. For the backing, I used a piece of gold Thimbleberries fabric. That colour isn't too popular these days, but it works for backing. It was nice to be able to use it up. For the quilting, I stitched in the ditch with Sew Fine white thread. The border is free-motion quilted with Sew Fine thread in a pea soup colour. That type of thread is good to use if you don't want the quilting to stand out too much. Now that this project is done, I can get back to working on the Halloween quilt.
Wednesday, August 25, 2021
Geo's birthday is on October 31. Since he loves Halloween, I thought I would make a quilt for him this year. I ordered online from Sew Sisters, a great place to shop. My order arrived quickly and I was pleased with the fabric. I looked through some quilting books to find an idea and came up with the Anvil block. Each fabric can be featured in the centre of a block. In my 34 years of quilting, this is the first time making a Halloween quilt. There will be fabric left over, so there may be placemats or a table runner in the future.
I'm going to try to get this Scrappy Bear's Paw quilt finished in October. The quilt top was made in the spring, so it hasn't be...
My sister, Linda Huntrods made these mats to put on her bedroom furniture.
Lindsay made some robes for us when they were here for a visit. We drafted them to our own measurements using the tutorial in the February e...
My Friendship Star quilt is all done. It's not too old of a project, the blocks were made last year. I'm not entirely happy with the...
In 1999, quilters from all over the world were trading 2 1/2 inch squares of fabric to make Y2K quilts. The goal was to have 2000 different...
I made this Trip Around The World quilt for my brother in 1989. He asked if I could put a new binding on it, the edges were getting tattered...
I made this quilted baby jacket in 1987 just before my daughter, Lindsay was born. The pattern came from a library book, I don't remembe...
Linda finished "Blue Skies" a few weeks ago. The pattern was "Cloudgazing" from McCalls Quick Quilts, December-January 2...
I retired July 1st from a place where I worked for just about 38 years. It almost seems strange to all of a sudden have time to sew. On Sund...
I just finished sewing the victory lap on this quilt top (stitching around the edge to secure the seams). I started the blocks for this one ...
This was gifted today so I can show some pictures of the scarf I made for my daughter, Lindsay. I had some nice yarn that I bought in Haines...